Saturday, July 19, 2008

tinkering

Honestly, I spend half my time at the beginning of bike tours just messing around with my stuff. My dad always used to say he was "tinkering" in the garage, and I guess I've adopted that practice to my outdoor activity of biking. Today, it seemed we messed with stuff to get it all loaded in our 15 passenger van and trailer while I was fiddling with things at work to wrap up details before I left town. Then on the way down, we danced in our seats while we settled into a groove before arriving at our destination.

Once we developed a game plan (imagine another hour passing...), we grabbed a bite to eat after discovering some of the sites on a tired and hot shuttle bus. Along the way, we were jostled in the crowd, scrounged for correct change, and confused along the route. But we found our way back to the hotel - no worse for the wear.

I guess the tinkering helps us to get into a groove - a biking rhythm. And once that happens, I won't be weaving all over the road while changing my ipod, adjusting my sunglasses, and searching for my camel-back. And day 1 of riding will help us to get to that comfort place where we just enjoy the ride for what it is; where the food tastes rich, the drinks are wet, and the sweat doesn't bother us anymore.

Ride safe. And don't worry about the tinkering... your rhythm is right around the next corner.

No comments: