Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Day 7: Tipton to Le Claire!

Miles: 52
Feet of Climb: Who Cares? We can do it!
High Temperature: 82
Sky Conditions: Sunny and beautiful, with TAILWIND!!

This was a biking day that could go down in the annals of RAGBRAI history! Wags was on a mission, as was Donna. In fact, almost the entire group of 15,000 riders seemed to be on a mission! Everyone seemed to be pushing harder and faster than on any of the six prior days. I'm sure it helped that it was the last day, the miles were short, and the weather was perfect for biking.

I believe we were all done with the ride, and dipping our front tires in the Mississippi River by 11:00. After arriving and regrouping, Donna was able to reach our additional rider, Tim. She met Tim earlier on the ride and we agreed to give him a ride back to Missouri Valley.

All-in-all the week was good. One rainy day out of seven is great. The days of climb got easier as the week went on. Having the last day be such a great riding day works out well, as the last memory of RAGBRAI XXXVI will always be a good one, and leave us all looking forward to our next chance to ride RAGBRAI again.

Our group was diverse, our personalities vastly different, but our goal was the same, and I think everyone on the ride this year would do it again. I know I would do it in a heart beat, and in fact I will do it again. Unfortunately, I won't be able to ride again until RAGBRAI XXXVIII in 2010 as every 3 years I am involved with the National Lutheran Youth Gathering, which happens the same time as RAGBRAI.

Until then, I'm sure you'll be able to catch me casually biking the Turner County roads near Centerville, taking in the sights, sounds and smells that can only be truly enjoyed from the saddle of a noiseless human powered vehicle.

No comments: