Tuesday, July 27, 2010

RAGBRAI 2010 - The Journey to Sioux City

Now is the time. We will find out if the training miles have helped us or not. Are we ready? Only a few miles in saddle tomorrow will let us know.

Thanks to the Colwill's for picking me up in Vermillion and hauling my stuff to Sioux City! We arrived in good shape and found the ShuttleGuy campground straight away. More on the ShuttleGuy service later...

After getting settled, we made our way downtown. We took in the sites at the bike expo and food vendor area. After Connie and Jodie left us, Scott, Justin (Scott's 17 yo nephew) and I took in the movie "A Million Spokes". This film is a great way to 'experience' RAGBRAI without riding a bike. The documentary was filmed during RAGBRAI 2009 and highlights many of the experiences that make up this crazy 'festival of bikes across Iowa'. I highly recommend it and I'm sure Scott and Justin would back me up.

After the film, we hooked up with our college buddy Matt Kann for the SmashMouth concert, which was smashmouthy at best. Matt's dad Roger dropped us off at our campground where we didn't enjoy a restful night. I guess the area of town in which we camped wasn't the best part of town. Someone in the neighborhood shot off bottle rockets, cars kept honking as they drove by the campground, at one point there was a loud scream from a girl somewhere. I suppose when RAGBRAI starts in a bigger city, this is what happens.

We planned on starting out at 7:00AM, which will come very early with all the ruckus going on around us.

More later!

No comments: